This past Monday night an earthquake woke me up at about 4:45 in the morning. Shortly after about 5 more followed! These were my first experiences with earthquakes and never have I felt more out of control. Sarah and I were completely freaked out and shared my twin bed for about an hour while we waited for them to stop. The last one was at about 6:30 in the morning. They weren´t strong enough to knock my things off the shelves but they were definitely strong enough to be felt. Despite the fact that we were scared to death and were huddled together in my bed, Sarah made a wise comment that we would not have been able to save each other even though we were together if something had happened. It was very humbling knowing just how out of control we really are.
The next day I was working in the kitchen because Sarah and I did not go in to work at the office last week but just stayed and helped out around Casa Hogar. I was slicing vegetables with a smaller knife that I have been using since my last incident with a knife and I somehow managed to cut another finger. This time it was my thumb. Fortunately, there was no fainting involved this time and I got it cleaned up and taken care of right away. My mother advises that I stay out of the kitchen but I am determined to keep helping them out when I can:)
Our latest project has been working on gifts from the kids to the sponsors. As expected, there is a lot more work from our part going in to it than from kids!
Friday morning the kids in elementary school had a Mini-Olympics at their school that Sarah and I were able to go to. It was really a cool experience getting to see them interact with other kids outside of their regular environment at Casa Hogar and even more fun getting to congratulate them when they recieved their medals. That afternoon a new intern named Cristina from Texas came in. She is going to be living at Casa Hogar for 5 and a half months, similar to me. This is her first time here so this weekend consisted a lot of showing her around and telling her about how life works here.
Yesterday after church we took about 12 kids to the beach. We went to the same one last weekend too and it is absolutely beautiful. It is quite a hike to get to it and then you literally have to rock climb a good amount to get to the actual beach. We stayed there all afternoon and played and swam. The kids think nothing of it because they see those views everyday but looking into the Acapulco Bay really is gorgeous.
I officially have less than a month of my time here and it has been hitting me way harder than what I expected. I completely trust that God has plans for me when I get back but it´s the transition that absolutely breaks my heart thinking of having to leave these precious people and kids that I have grown to love so much. I plan to forever be a part of these kids´ lives but I am realizing that I may never have something like this experience with them again getting to see their everyday lives apart from when the groups come visit for a week in the summer. It is hard to take in but I am doing my best to look at the countless amazing times I have had here and not at the sadness of leaving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Emily!!!
I continue to lift you up in prayer as you work at Casa Hogar. I'm enjoying reading your blog-- keep up the great work.
Transition/re-entry is hard. God will show up, I promise sweet girl, and the rest of us will pray as you exit and enter. Kait and I had a GREAT TIME wrapping gifts to get to your mom for the kids down there. Funniest thing was that Kaitlin wanted to get them a photo album. It was news to her that they would not have photos to put into the book. Good teaching moment! I miss you and cannot WAIT to see you! xoxoxo
Post a Comment